Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Daddy Geek's Lament

I have an Xbox 360 because my cousin is awesome and has a cool job. So I now have a cool geeky toy, but I've discovered a few things by getting this gift. One is that I spend way too much time trying to force this contraption to work the way I want it to, instead of changing my activities to match the way it works. The second thing is that I don't have any time to play with it anyway, and don't even know what to use it for if I did.

There was an update yesterday to allow the 360 to play even more movie files, music, etc... I was hoping to just stream some video podcasts over from my computer. Hasn't been working for me. Besides that I could use it to watch some movies, but then the home movies don't seem to work and I don't have time to watch movies much.

That's the thing though, I don't have time for such things anymore. Katie takes up time when I get home, then the wife usually has control of the TV, and what time left I spend on the computer (playing Guild Wars mostly) or reading a book. No time for media playing. Figure that in the end I'll mostly use it for playing music when I'm cleaning the house on weekends.

Oh, and as far as playing games on this game console... they cost $60 a pop and again I have no time. Not only that, but I've gotten so rusty that they're almost no fun. I'll have to stick with the classic games on my Wii, or some of the Live Arcade demos on the 360. Of course the most fun is to find a night to visit my awesome cousin and watch him play games... just more entertaining.

No comments: