Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Maybe I've lost my taste for C.S. Lewis' style, or maybe I've been reading far too many Terry Pratchett works which make this look so shabby by comparison. I've enjoyed other Narnia books... Wardrobe, Last Battle, and the Magician's Nephew were fun reads. I abandoned A Horse and His Boy... so maybe I shouldn't be surprised that Dawn Treader wasn't a thrill for me.

The simplistic narrative was overly dull this time round. The characters barely developed during the course of the story... except for the annoying kid who learns to be less annoying. No huge conflicts that can't be taken care of in less than a page or two.

Here's the interesting bit... I can see how this will make a good movie in the right hands. The only reason I decided to read it now was to refresh my memory of the plot before the film comes out this winter. Being simplistic, the screenplay writer will have ample room to expand it. The book itself is basically an outline to a grander tale. I can already see which scenes they'll turn into action fodder and also I've got a good idea which parts will be cut completely (mono-footed dwarves anyone).

Anyway, it was a quick read so it has that going for it.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: