Thursday, January 21, 2010

Avatar

Saw Avatar last night with my Dad and Uncle Ron. Great film, like everyone has been saying. I really think this is the first time that you can believe all the CG is fully real. I only caught a couple places where there was a CG quirk... usually involving the live action guys inside the CG battle mechs.

The story isn't anything amazing, mostly a collection of classic story telling ideas rolled into a bewilderingly beautiful canvas. "Dances with Wolves in space" is what I've heard repeated. Thing is James Cameron still makes the telling of the story incredibly entertaining even if at no point are you surprised by what happens next. Which honestly is the makings of a film that can be watched over and over again.

The acting shines through the blue cat CG masks. I particularly like Zoe Saldana's job as the Pocahontas princess of the cat people. Zoe Saldana also played Uhura in J. J. Abrams' Star Trek film from last year. So she seems to know where good films are being made.

Sam Worthington's performance as our jarhead turned native was outstanding as well. Funny enough my brain keeps wanting to compare his job to the guy playing the lead in the G.I. Joe movie from last year. I know that's not a fair comparison to the old Joe, but the difference is so starkly defined that it makes for good contrast. In Joe the jughead has so much trouble delivering his lines that you can't help but wonder if they're holding cue cards up for him, while in Avatar it all seems natural even when coming from the lips of a blue cat.

Again, great film. No, I didn't see it in 3D... but I may go again just for that experience. Figured it best to enjoy it one time through before risking throwing up all over the place. My experience with 3D to date has been hit or miss. Not nauseating yet, but fraught with calamity, i.e., broken glasses.

It was great to get back to the theater... I miss going to the movies.

No comments: