Monday, September 14, 2009

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Audiobook) by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Decided to listen to the last Harry Potter book. Jim Dale does an amazing job with narration, as I'd always heard was true. This is the first time to go back and re-read(listen to) this book since I read it when it first came out.

While the ending is amazing and does a great job wrapping up the series, I still can't say this is my favorite. I still feel you could remove about a third or more of this book and it wouldn't make much difference. From about the end of the wedding until they get the sword, the story seems to slow to a crawl for me.

I get the feeling that JKR had gotten to such a state of celebrity that no editor would dare tell here to trim it a bit. Also it felt like she was padding the middle a little to make the story last most of what would have been Harry's last year at school. A better tactic might have been having Harry at school for half the year, put the wedding around Christmas time, and then going on the run during the Spring... but hey, she didn't ask me.

But this is all arm chair author grumbling. Maybe when I write my own fiction series worth millions, someone can get all complain-y about what they think I did wrong. All in all, I loved the ending and all the Dumbledore stuff, so I think I'll just say it was great and leave it at that.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: