Monday, February 4, 2008

Ringworld by Larry Niven

Ringworld by Larry Niven

It wasn't bad, but by the end I was ready for it to be over. So this book earns a solid 3. I still don't think I'm quite in the groove with traditional Science Fiction yet. They seem to feel more like a travel book dedicated to pointing out cool technology or some such. Guess I've been spoiled by stories with complex plots, with twists and the like.

Ringworld is the tale of a motley crew of four, two humans and a couple aliens, setting out on an exploration of the Ringworld (a manufactured world in the shape of a ring, go figure). I'll give Niven credit, the descriptions of this future universe, the aliens, cultures, and eventually the Ringworld are all very cool. The Dyson sphere lite concept of the ring is really neat and well thought out. The luck concept was a little much to stomach though, as it acted as a plot hole device. I've seen magic used the same way in some fantasy stories. If you're lacking a real plot motivation or have no real explanation why something should happen a certain way... bam! magic... or in this case luck.

Like I said, not a bad book at all, but I'm ready to move onto something else.

No comments: